Saturday, January 19, 2008

Love your neighbor . . Day 4-6

So I have to admit, when we started this new meditation about living out scripture and applying it to our lives, I really thought that I would have these great stories to share that would encourage and maybe even challenge. God had other ideas.

Within this week, I have posted a few times about stories for the day, but what God has really done this week is teach me more about what this love is that it talks about in our verse looks like.

This love has nothing to do with romantic feelings,
this love has nothing to do with making myself look better,
this love has nothing to do with being even or fair,
this love has nothing to do with what I want,
this love has nothing to do with what anyone wants,

This love has no motive save for love,
this love gives glory to God alone,
this love meets the deep and essential needs of everyone,
this love heals physically, spiritually, and mentally,
this love is one of self-sacrifice,
this love gives, not expecting anything in return,
this love gives hope,
this love is about responding to the love already shared with us in Christ,
this love is the only thing we are called to be and do and share!

So, how do I respond? What can I do? What if I fail? What if I fail over and over and over?
What if I misrepresent Christ?

I think that all these questions are what plague Christians and paralyze missions and change and the church. What if we are asking the wrong questions? Turn them insideout.

Maybe these should be our questions:
What if I don't respond? What if I don't do? What if I don't even try? What if I don't fail? What if I try do represent Christ the best I know how?

I don't know where these will take me, youth group, church, or everything else. But I can't wait to find out!

No comments: