Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Teach with your life...Day 1

We are starting our second week with our new meditation.
If you would like to join us, please do, here is the like to the web page that will describe how to do it.
http://www.crossvillefumc.net/This%20Week/ThisWeek.htm

This weeks verse is 1 Timothy 4:12
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

I believe that this verse along with many others is used all the time for youth and young adults in ministry, but I don't know if I have ever really studied what Paul was going for when he wrote it to young Timothy. When I have and hear this verse used, it is almost always by an older adult to a younger person, almost in a demeaning way. That by quoting it you make the youth feel the lesser because you are calling them young.

I, as a young adult in youth ministry in a church, would like to use it to encourage and challenge those who are called "young" where ever you are. Use this verse as a challenge to live out what Christ has lived out. Use this verse to be challenged to set an example with your life. Instead of trying to fight back verbally, or even fight back at all, why not live out what you believe to be what we are called to be as Christians? Why not feed the hungry? Why not clothe the naked? Why not visit the imprisoned? Why not help those that are oppressed? Why not speak up for those who have no voice? Why not step up and do something?

I believe that if we can take this challenge, we can actually literally change the world!

More on this later...

1 comment:

Joanna said...

ok, so I take back what I said about making these reflections shorter... haha! check out my blog.